Art Collecting (Updated)

I've always wanted to collect art, but my budget was limited (which is to say non-existent). BUT, now I have a Higher Purpose (read: rationalization) & can justify art purchases as investments. The theory is that I can always sell some & make enough money to finance a few pieces for myself.

"Investment" is the password that unlocks my SuperEgo Cash Register & "Bargain Whoring" is what misdirects/corrupts the Virtuous Cashier. Generally, I'm neurotic re: living w/in my means.** But after quitting paid work to pursue motherhood, art, & community service, and enduring upteen years of grad-school poverty, well... The ID is in ascendance, and the EGO staged a coup, in the interest of peace & functional sanity. In other words, it's finally my turn to get some.***

My focus: Art by Jewish Artists, Religious artifacts, and/or Judaica/Catholicaica.

What I have: limited edition prints (lithographs & seriographs); original watercolors; ceremonial objects/clothes; art by local/self-taught/traditional artisans.

As for High Art: When I first discovered that my grandfather was Sephardic, I bought a Chagall print--something I've long wanted. It was a giclee of floating lovers w/ Eiffel Tower in background. (Future: Print-Collecting 101/Terminology Post).

Then, @ auction, I bought limited edition Chagall lithographs (thumbnails).
Plus, mixed media watercolor original by Israeli, Patricia Govezensky. And Steynovitz's Sukkot ii serigraph. And "Symbols of Jerusalem" watercolor by Baghdad artist, Sami Zilkha.


Next up: Artisanal objects: Catholic & Sephardic/Jewish ceremonial

**Near the top of my List of GAME-CHANGING books: Your Money or Your Life, which explains the principle of Voluntary Simplicity & gives practical steps to achieve life-long financial balance, and consequently, life balance & vitality.

***Yes. I have a thing for Jungian Psychology. But you'll have to wait to learn more re: how Freud was wrong about almost everything, and Jung was more or less right.

No comments:

Post a Comment