How Movies Explain (almost) Everything


I like "guy" movies, and dislike (often loathe) romantic comedies. If you believe that Hollywood & Hallmark accurately describe gender roles in romance, then I'm no girl (but that's for another post).

My kind of movie: Apocalypse Now & Lord of the Rings III. Epic. Apocalyptic. Matters of Life & Death. Where men & women meet their destiny and confirm by ACTION that they are The CHOSEN. The only romantic comedy I could stand seeing again is Casablanca. I did like Jerry McGuire, DESPITE the super-lame romantic subplot. What I like is Bro-love flicks. Bros before 'Hos. Challenge: think of one movie where the central plot happens between women, and doesn't become subsidiary to the romantic subplot (standard is romantic plot, and girl-friends subplot, if that). To me, the riveting love story was between agent McGuire & his client. Loyalty Rules.

I'm a sucker for platonic love stories where men DO, and express love only in climactic moments. I'd-risk-my-life-for-you, man, & do-stupid-buddy-things with you stories. [See a pattern here?]

Therefore, EXPECT lots of movie tie-ins. And if you haven't seen Casablanca, you're missing out-- It approaches Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment